We are constantly growing and evolving. So, how do we develop, maintain, and exercise a deeper perspective and overall understanding of our significant other throughout all stages of life?
It’s simple, ask questions and (seriously) listen.
“I don’t want to know just how you are. I want to know who you are”
Here’s 15 thought provoking questions (that go beyond the surface) to better understand your significant other (or someone close to you).
Note: Opening up can be vulnerable and scary. Remember to proceed without judgement, be kind, and patient.
15 Thought provoking questions
- What is something you struggle with internally but can’t voice?
- What can I do to make this week easier for you?
- If you could change something about your childhood, what would it be and why?
- If you could give your 10 year old self advice, what would it be?
- If you could invite anyone (alive or dead) to dinner at our home, who would it be and why?
- What is one non-materialistic thing you really wanted as a child yet didn’t have and why?
- If you could gain one ability tomorrow – what would it be and why?
- If our house was on fire and everyone (including our pets) were safely removed AND you had one opportunity to run back into the house to grab one materialistic thing – what would it be and why?
- Describe how you felt when you knew you were in love?
- What goes through your head when you see a homeless person asking for money?
- What color makes you happy and what color makes you feel sad?
- List 5 positive character traits of your significant other and how it makes you feel and why?
- If we could be in any existing movie together – what movie would it be and why?
- What does a perfect weekday and perfect weekend look like and why?
- What are 3 constructive things you’d like for me to work on in our relationship and why?
NOTE: You have to really listen here and not get offended! Remember, these questions are intended to help you understand each other on a different level.